Grey Power New Plymouth - Grey Power New Plymouth

Current News & Events

NP Committee

Grey Power Policies

Superannuation Matters



Superannuation Matters

New Zealand Superannuation (NZ Super) overview

If you're aged 65 years or older you may be able to get NZ Super payments and a SuperGold card. This is provided by the Government Dept. Work and Income (WINZ).

To get NZ Super you must have lived in New Zealand for at least 10 years since you turned 20. Five of those years must be since you turned 50.

This information is a guide only. Please contact Dept. of Work and Income to talk about your individual circumstances.
  • You may be able to get NZ Super if you:

    • are aged 65 or over
    • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
    • normally live in New Zealand at the time you apply.

    You may qualify for NZ Super with less than 10 years residence if you have migrated to New Zealand from a country that New Zealand has a social security agreement with.

    Note: You don't have to be retired from work to get NZ Super as it's not income tested.

    Other income you earn can affect other payments you get from WINZ (over and above NZ Super/Veteran's Pension).

    SuperGold Card

    Your SuperGold Card will be sent to you automatically once you have been granted New Zealand Superannuation.

    It gives you discounts and offers from a range of businesses, government concessions (such as free off-peak public transport) and discounted services from your local council.

    For more information about your Supergold Card please go here:

Grey Power is an advocacy organisation promoting the welfare and well-being of all those citizens in the 50 plus age group. 

Our mission is to be the appropriate voice for all New Zealanders.